Monday, October 8, 2012

Narrative Literacy

Narrative Literacy
I have grown up in the realm of sports very fast throughout my life. I began playing everything I possibly could with the kids in the neighborhood. When I was old enough I began playing in leagues for an actual team. In this earl years I played soccer, baseball and basketball. There was one sport that was missing and that was football, I didn’t play football till the third grade meaning I missed out on two years of it. I am not sure why I choose soccer over football when I was little I think it was because that’s what everyone played and I felt comfortable in that setting. Eventually I summed up the courage to play football because I couldn’t take it any longer; I had to play the sport I loved. I love football with a passion ever sense my dad and the television first introduced me to the sport. I can remember just sitting on the couch with my dad asking a million questions every second trying to understand the whole idea of football. This was probably around kindergarten for me and I caught on fast and fell in love with the game. I played it a recess, when I got home, after homework and after dinner till it got dark. This sport has always meant so much to and is so exhilarating to watch but even more so play. I really began to become literate in this sport around seventh grade, I know that sounds far from third grade where I say I knew the game and how to play but I didn’t lie I did know the game. The thing is if you’re a fan of football or have ever played you begin to understand how complex it really is. There are unlimited numbers of different offensive and defensive sets used in every which way. The crazy thing is they aren’t just there to change things up they all have a reason and specific purpose and this also goes for plays. There is also the development of stances, form tackling, technique at your position, working on reaction time, strength, flexibility, awareness, desire, hard-work, fight, football I.Q. and the list goes on. Seventh grade was the year I started to really notice and become aware of all these things as football became more important and harder it wasn’t just a little game you can just go out and play. The coaches , my dad and television are all in thanks to my development as I progressed and went week by week I would learn more and more from my coaches. My dad would help me work on these techniques, plays mindsets and so forth. Then there is the television which parents see as pointless and bad for the brain but this was my biggest study guide and cheat sheet for football I ever received. Every Sunday and Saturday I would lay on the couch and watch football from game 1 at one to the night game at eight. I would set and observe and learn so much about playing from the little things to just how to present yourself and act in the presents of the game. I remember sitting there so happy and thrilled to just watch the sport and whenever halftime came It was straight to the front yard where I would play quick games for the twenty minute break and then back in doors. These little things grew more and more important to me as I grew and when I reached seventh grade i really started putting everything together and understanding the meaning of every little thing in the game from when to run and screen to why to run the ball when its third and twenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment